PRO No. 80/12
Public Relations Office
The Islamia University of Bahawalpur
Bahawalpur ( ): The nine members Inter University Consortium for the Promotion of Social Sciences Arts and Humanities (IUCPSS) has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Tourism Development Corporation of Punjab (TDCP) in Lahore. Prof Dr Muhammad Mukhtar, Chairperson IUCPSS and Vice Chancellor, the Islamia University of Bahawalpur (IUB) and Mr. Saad S Khan, Managing Director, TDCP signed MoU on behalf of their respective organizations. This ceremony was chaired by Professor Dr. Sohail H Naqvi, Executive Director of the Higher Education Commission of Pakistan (HEC) and Vice Chancellors of the consortium member universities including Professor Dr. Khawaja Alqama, Bahauddin Bahauddin Zakariya University, Multan, Prof. Dr. Zakir Hussain, GC University, Faisalabad , Prof. Dr. Nizamuddin, University of Gujrat, Prof. Dr. Abdul Razzaq, University of Baluchistan, Quetta, Dr. Mohsin Khan, Institute of Management Sciences, Peshawar and Dr. Haroon-ur-Rashid, COMSATS, Abbotabad, represented their institutions during the signing ceremony. Professor Dr. Sohail H Naqvi, Executive Director, HEC coined this MoU between IUCPSS and TDCP as an important milestone in promoting socio-economy and regional diversity Pakistan is blessed with. He said that flourishing of tourism will promote harmony, mutual understanding and learning about our rich cultural heritage and beautiful traditions both nationally and internationally. Responding to a proposal given by the Chairperson, IUCPSS, Professor Dr. Muhammad Mukhtar, he agreed to promote tourism in HEC sponsored conferences, meetings and symposia. He asked that all consortium participating and other higher education institutes should develop guide maps highlighting places of interest in their surroundings. The Chairperson of the IUCPSS and Vice Chancellor IUB, Professor Dr. Muhammad Mukhtar described this MoU as an exceptional opportunity to promote hospitality management educational activities. He assured that Consortium will do utmost efforts to highlight beautiful history and regional culture in collaboration with TDCP. Professor Dr Muhammad Mukhtar mentioned role of media in elevating soft image of Pakistan and further described that tourism industry has become very responsive to environmental intelligent system. Upon signing this MoU, we will bridge gaps and promote regional social values in promoting tourism. Mr. Saad Khan envisioned that IUCPSS will assist TDCP in its educational programs besides facilitating tourist activities. Collaboration between the IUCPSS and TDCP will strengthen both parties reciprocally as far as their joint efforts towards uplifting of the people of Pakistan are concerned. Both parties will share their expertise and work jointly towards educational, social, tourism sector and associated activities.
Following are the important areas of collaboration between two parties:
- The IUCPSS will assist TDCP in upgrading its ongoing educational activities in the area of hospitality management, act as liaison body in the development of curricula and its approval from the Higher Education Commission of Pakistan.
- In consultation with the TDCP, IUCPSS members will initiate programs in hospitality management. Consortium member universities will also act as affiliating body of the TDCP ongoing educational centers.
- The TDCP will be a partner whenever requested by the consortium members in activities relevant to socio-economic uplift, linking youth with national history, art, civilization, culture and tourism through youth awareness campaigns. Both parties will also collaborate in programs on improved harmony and tolerance in the society and development of tourism culture in Pakistan.
- Both the parties will offer special discounts in service sectors including TDCP shops, hotels, motels and restaurants and consortium member’s higher education institutes guest houses and associated services.
- Both the parties will have option of utilizing each others platform for joint national and international linkages for promoting tourism and positive image of Pakistan.
- Both parties agree to conduct joint seminars/conferences & workshops, academic programs in the area of policy matters relating to tourism and hotel management.
- Both parties will cooperate in the promotion of co-curricular activities at university campuses.
- Both parties can initiate any additional program not mentioned in this MoU through mutual consent.
- Both parties agree to appoint Mr. Murtaza Noor and Mr. Tahir Masood Khan Niazi as focal persons of IUCPSS and TDCP respectively.
Members of the Consortium also showed their full support to this collaborative activity and asked for a working group to implement agreed avenues of collaboration. Dignitaries, civil society and other participants showed their satisfaction and support to the activities of the Consortium and TDCP.