Bahawalpur has always been a seat of higher
learning. Uch Sharif (a nearby ancient town) had one of the
largest universities in the world where scholars from all over
the world used to come for studies. As a continuation of this
tradition a religious University (Jamia Abbasia) was established
in Bahawalpur in 1925, following the academic pursuits of Jamia
Al-Azhar, Egypt. The renowned scholars spread the beacon of
Islam by teaching Tafseer of Quran, Hadith, Fiqh, and History
along with other contemporary subjects.
In view of the changing scenario, Jamia Abbasia
was declared as a general University in 1975, and was renamed
as The Islamia University of Bahawalpur. Initially, it started
functioning at Abbasia and Khawaja Fareed Campuses with ten
Departments. In order to construct a modern and self-contained
campus, 1250 acres of land was allotted to the University on
Hasilpur Road about eight kilometers away from the city centre.
The sand dunes have been converted into well-built
faculties, green lawns, hostels, residential colony, farms and
orchards. It is known as Baghdad-ul-Jadeed Campus. The University
was started with ten departments and now this number has increased
to 45 offering 74 disciplines. Apart from conventional disciplines
of Religious Affairs, Languages, Social and Basic Sciences;
education is being imparted in the areas of Business Administration,
Engineering, Agriculture, Veterinary Sciences, Computer, Law,
Education, Fine Arts, Pharmacy, Life Sciences and Sports Sciences.
The University values quality education rather than quantity.
Towards achievement of this end a team of highly qualified and
committed faculty members have been engaged. Moreover, research
is being made corner stone of the educational philosophy.
In order to provide opportunities of higher
education to the youth at their door step, two campuses were
established at Rahim Yar Khan and Bahawalnagar in 2005. Initially,
Departments of Management Sciences and Computer Science &
Information Technology were established for which response was
very encouraging. The number of Departments at Bahawalnagar
and Rahim Yar Khan Campuses have been increased to seven and